These two companies came together in the last months of 1994. Microgaming has redeveloped it’s unsuccessful software so that it can be used on a website. They had a creative idea: To open an online casino and use their software in it. They had the games, but there was no solution they could use to make money transfers. Cryptologic solved this problem and agreed to use the payment infrastructure it had developed in the newly opened Microgaming website . This is how InterCasino, the world’s first online casino, emerged.
The website opened in early 1995. There were 18 games in total, and they were all free to play. These were the first casino games that could be played online with real money. However, things were not so good during the first year: People were playing games, but they weren’t making any deposits. Even Microgaming had to sign an agreement with the National Indian Lottery to earn revenue. (You could buy lottery tickets directly from the website.) The problem was not only trust issues, the website had no statutory basis. Remember that there were not electronic gaming licenses, even the SSL protocol back then. It was already difficult to convince people to deposit money on a website, but it was almost impossible without a legal basis. Laws were not appropriate for online industries at the time.
This problem was solved in 1995: Antigua and Barbuda, small tropical island nations, announced that they were beginning to distribute electronic gaming licenses. Microgaming was the first company to receive this license. A miraculous thing happened in 1996: A player, for the first time, made a real deposit and played on a slot machine at InterCasino. It was a turning point, and it had a historical significance: Until that date, nobody in the world had ever done such a thing. If there is an industry called online casino today, we owe it to that anonymous and courageous vanguard. This event was a turning point for InterCasino. Like a breaking point, more people started to deposit money, play games and earn money at the casino. The payment infrastructure developed by Cryptologic tested for “real”. This was a successful test because that infrastructure is still used in most of the online casinos today.
Pioneer of Online Casinos
InterCasino began to make profits since the end of 1996. For this reason, many imitations appeared over the internet. At that time, however, there were no companies developing online casino games other than Microgaming. On these simulated websites, fraudulent and poor quality games were used, and a “digital theft” was going on. Microgaming did not want to lose the hard-won confidence of consumers. That’s why it founded the Interactive Gaming Council (IGC) in 1997. This council set the fair game standards still used today, and the term known as RTP (return to player) was first discussed in this council.
Until 1998, all online slot machines fixed payment models. So there was a limit on the amount of maximum prize you could win. Microgaming realized that slot games were the most interesting category to players. But the limits of the prizes were also causing people to have less playing time. The world’s first progressive jackpot slot machine released for this reason: To prolong the game time. In 1998, Microgaming developed the game “Cash Splash”. (You can still play this game today.) This was the first progressive online slot in history. The same year, the company introduced a new feature known as “download casino”. Players could download games without logging into the website if they wanted to. At that time, this was a big and important development because the internet connection speeds were very low.
Until 2002, Microgaming had numerous competitors. The Interactive Gaming Council was no longer effective because it had no supervising authority. For this reason, Microgaming came together with other leading companies in the industry to establish “e-Commerce and Online Gaming Regulation and Assurance”. Today, you know this organization with the name “eCogra”. eCogra is an independent audit company and audits online casinos to determine if they met IGC standards.
For years, Microgaming has continued to achieve the firsts in the industry. If we give some examples:
- In May 2009, an anonymous player earned a prize of 6.5 million dollars from the progressive jackpot slot named Mega Moolah, which is developed by Microgaming. This was the biggest prize earned from a jackpot machine until that date, and it managed to get into the Guinness Book of Records. In October 2015, Mega Moolah once again broke a record and awarded a player named Jon Heywood $ 20 million. This award is still considered to be the world’s greatest jackpot prize.
- In May 2008, Microgaming released the world’s first 100 pay line slot game. (Since that date, the number of pay lines has reached 1,024.)
- In 2010, the world’s largest game distribution platform QuickFire was released. There are over 600 casino games and even a sports betting feature on the platform.
- In 2011, the world’s first 3D slot game was released by Microgaming. Nowadays, this is considered as a completely separate category and used to define games with highly advanced graphics.
- In May 2016, the world’s first playable VR casino game was released by Microgaming for Oculus Rift.
In short, we can say that Microgaming is a company that is among the forerunners of the online casino industry. Most of the technologies and features currently used today were first developed by this company.
Top 10 Microgaming Games
It’s a difficult task to prepare a top 10 list for Microgaming because the company has literally hundreds of games (about 700 titles). For this reason, we have included games that are both popular and high in RTP on our list. (The higher the RTP rate, the less you will lose in the long run.) According to these criteria, our top 10 list consists of the following games:
- Thunderstruck II
The first game in the series was quite successful, but the sequel is much more fun and lucrative. Based on the Northern mythology, you have control of heroes like Odin, Thor, Loki, and Valkyrie in this slot with an RTP rate of 96.65%. Your chances of winning through the 243 pay lines are extremely high. The Wild symbol replaces other symbols and doubles the amount of the prize.
- Riviera Riches
If you like to play roulette, you should try this game. Riviera Riches has an RTP rate of 96.51% and 15 pay lines. You can play in a real roulette table during the bonus round and get a chance to win 4 times your bet. The jackpot prize is 30,000 coins.
- Break Away
Break Away is an ice hockey-themed video slot, and has an RTP rate of 97%. It has 243 pay lines and offers a pretty good chance of winning. There are two different wild symbols in the game, and they have “expanding” feature. So they can fill a reel completely. During the free spins round, the multiplier values increase by 10 times. So your prize is multiplied by 10 at the end.
Based on the story of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, this video slot contains 50 pay lines. The RTP rate is 96.74%. During the bonus round, you can win 6 to 20 times your bet. The grand prize is 5,000 coins. Even if it is a little low, the payment frequency is quite high, and you start to get a profit in a short period of time.
- Immortal Romance
If you like vampires, you’ll love this game. In the years when “Twilight” movie was introduced, vampire-based slot machines were very popular, and Immortal Romance was a game developed during this period. It uses the same rule system and the RTP value as Thunderstruck 2. But the jackpot prize is higher: 3.645.000 coins. There is also a 4-level bonus round, and the number of multipliers and free spins increase with each level.
- Avalon II
The Avalon II is another of the 243 pay lined Microgaming slots. The RTP rate is 97%, and in this respect, it offers a higher winning chance than the other 243 lined games. During the “Grail Bonus” round, it is possible to win dozens of free spins, multipliers, and cash prizes. The jackpot prize is 120,000 coins.
This 27-lined and space-based video slot has an RTP rate of 97.05%. The graphics are quite colorful and offer a true visual feast when you earn money. Supernova is a multiplier-focused slot and multiplies the rewards you earn with extremely high numbers. Because it is a new game, you can play with native touchscreen controls mobile devices.
- Hot Ink
Hot Ink has cartoony graphics, contains 1,024 pay lines and offers an RTP rate of 97.50%. It has many bonus features such as re-spins, 10 free spins & 10x multiplier, and 20 free spins. You can win the jackpot prize of 1,000 coins more than once.
- Hot as Hades
Hot as Hades contains three-dimensional effects and extremely simple rules. There are 20 pay lines, and the RTP rate is 96.80%. It’s not hard to win the grand prize of 500,000 coins thanks to the numerous bonus rounds. During the free spins round, you can win 2,000 times your bet. Moreover, you can only play with 0.01 coins.
- Titans of the Sun
This is actually a series name, and each game is dedicated to a different ancient Greek god. You can choose what you want, but we recommend Theia. This 15-line game has an RTP rate of 96.09%. It is possible to earn 100 free spins. Also, some symbols can transform into other symbols and increase your chances of winning.
Features of Microgaming Slots
- Suitable for Every Liking. The number of Microgaming slot machines is so numerous that it is possible to find an option that suits every taste. The entire collection consists of more than 600 titles and offers many different themes and categories. Whatever kind of player you are, we guarantee you will find a suitable option.
- Fairness. Microgaming is a company that founded the fairness standards in this industry, and it will provide you with the smoothest gaming experience for this reason. There is no need to worry about the game you are playing: If it is a Microgaming title, you can be sure that it is fair.
- Availability. Microgaming game collection can be played on all platforms. As HTML5 technology is used, there is no difference between the performance and features between platforms. iOS, Android, Windows, MacOS – whichever you use, you get the best possible experience.
- Big Prizes. Mega Moolah and other Microgaming progressive jackpot titles have entered the Guinness Book of Records multiple times. It’s possible to earn tens of millions of dollars with these games. The jackpot machines with the highest rewards at the moment are being developed by Microgaming.
To play Free Microgaming Slots, you can use our website. All our games can be played for free and real money. You can switch between the two versions at any time. You can also find out the best online casinos to play the Microgaming collection by reading our reviews.